- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3-4 tblsp Olive oil
- 1/2 lb or so Jowl Bacon or Smoked Ham, diced
- 5-6 med Red potatoes, diced
- 1 sm Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 rib Celery w/leaves, sliced
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf, or 1/4tsp crushed
- 1/2 tsp ea: Sage, Thyme, White Pepper
- 2 tblsp Flour
- 28oz can Dei Fratelli or Glen Muir diced tomatoes
- 6.5oz (or 10oz, if you really like) Clams, canned or shucked and chopped
- 3-4 c Chicken stock or Clam juice, or a combo of both, as needed & as you prefer
- Heat oil in lg Dutch oven and fry bacon & veggies, seasoned w/salt & pepper and spices, til beginning to brown and tender up, approx 8-10min.
- Transfer veggies to CrockPot. Add flour and toss to coat and dissolve. Add tomatoes to Dutch oven and deglaze. Add clams and heat thru.
- Pour tomatoes & clams into Crock and stir to mix. Add sufficient stock to cover and make soupy when blended; it will thicken ever so slightly as it stews.
- Cook 4-8hrs, stirring oh-so-seldom (really not all that necessary unless you think it might be scorching around the surface edges), then serve HOT w/a nice crusty bread.
NotesI am a bigger fan of the tomato-based version over the cream-based. Just my personal preference. I discovered this love as a child in the Midwest, where we had little exposure in the lean 70's to exotic seafoods like CLAMS. Our specialty here is Fried Things Made From Pork.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More