MANHATTAN CLAM CHOWDER
Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 3-4 tblsp Olive oil
- 1/2 lb or so Jowl Bacon or Smoked Ham, diced
- 5-6 med Red potatoes, diced
- 1 sm Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 rib Celery w/leaves, sliced
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf, or 1/4tsp crushed
- 1/2 tsp ea: Sage, Thyme, White Pepper
- 2 tblsp Flour
- 28oz can Dei Fratelli or Glen Muir diced tomatoes
- 6.5oz (or 10oz, if you really like) Clams, canned or shucked and chopped
- 3-4 c Chicken stock or Clam juice, or a combo of both, as needed & as you prefer
Heat oil in lg Dutch oven and fry bacon & veggies, seasoned w/salt & pepper and spices, til beginning to brown and tender up, approx 8-10min.
Transfer veggies to CrockPot. Add flour and toss to coat and dissolve. Add tomatoes to Dutch oven and deglaze. Add clams and heat thru.
Pour tomatoes & clams into Crock and stir to mix. Add sufficient stock to cover and make soupy when blended; it will thicken ever so slightly as it stews.
Cook 4-8hrs, stirring oh-so-seldom (really not all that necessary unless you think it might be scorching around the surface edges), then serve HOT w/a nice crusty bread.