- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 quarts water
- 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ginger, chopped or sliced thin (no need to peel)
- 3 heads garlic, cloves separated (no need to peel these either)
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes
- Place all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Place brine in a non-reactive container.
- Wash poultry and place breast side down in the brine; add more water if necessary to cover the bird. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 days. (smaller birds such as chicken or Cornish game hens can be brined for 12 to 24 hours or up to 2 to 4 days).
- Remove poultry from brine and rinse well in cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Brush skin with melted butter or olive oil; roast as usual. Makes 1 gallon
NotesOriginally posted to Recipezaar by Mean Chef. This makes enough brine for a 12 lb turkey. Halve the recipe for smaller birds.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Get Cookin'See More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More