- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe is one of my family's favorites for Thanksgiving, as well as in the Spring when the new run of Maple Syrup becomes available!
- 1 3/4 Cups Milk (divided)
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 3/4 Cup plus 1 Tbl. real Maple Syrup,divided
- 1/4 Teasp. Salt
- 2 Egg Yolks, beaten
- 2 Tbl. Butter (no substitute)
- 1 Cup Whipped Cream, or an 8 oz. container of Cool Whip
- Blend 1/4 Cup of Milk and the Cornstarch in a saucepan. Add remaining Milk, 3/4 Cup of Syrup and Salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir 1/4 Cup of hot mixture into Yolks, to temper. Return Yolk mixture to saucepan, stirring to combine all. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat and add Butter. Blend well. Cool thoroughly, stirring once or twice. Fold 1 Cup of Whipped Cream or Cool Whip into the cooled filling. Turn mixture into a pre-baked pie crust. Add 1 Tbl. Maple Syrup to remaining Cream (or Cool Whip)and frost pie. Garnish with chopped Walnuts, or shaved Maple Sugar, if desired. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving, to allow filling to set up.