- Cooking Time: 150
- Servings: 2-3
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 to 4 cloves worth of minced garlic
- 2 to 3 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cilantro paste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 sprig fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup red wine (I used a Meritage, which was really nice)
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (more to suit your tastebuds)
- 3 to 4 bone in beef short ribs
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- cornstarch mixed with cold water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix first twelve ingredients (garlic to vinegar) together in a medium bowl.
- Heat approximately 2 tbsp of oil in a small skillet and pour mixed ingredients into pan. Let bloom approimately 8 minutes.
- Add ketchup and maple syrup to pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. (At this point, if you don't find the sauce is flavourful enough, add some more syrup and salt and pepper).
- Place ribs in a shallow dish and pour mixture over them. Turn ribs to coat evenly.
- Heat heavy oven proof skillet on high heat until it reaches a temperature of approximately 300F (if the pan is not hot enough, the meat will likely stick to it as we are not adding any oil [there is enough in the sauce]). Place the ribs fatty side down into skillet, reserving the sauce in the shallow dish. Sear the meat.
- Once your ribs are a lovely shade of brown, pour the reserved sauce over them and add the beef broth. Cover your skillet and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Braise the ribs for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning once.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and set aside. Transfer skillet to stovetop and add cornstarch until sauce is thickened.
- Spoon sauce over ribs and serve.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Best of Eva's Family Recipes
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More