- Cooking Time: 25-30MIN
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10MIN
- 4 Game hens, rinsed and patted dry, wingtips trimmed
- Olive oil
- 1/4c Herbs de Provence
- Salt & Black pepper
- 1 Orange, quartered
- 1/4c real Maple syrup
- 1/8c Olive Oil
- 1/4stick melted butter
- splash or three Champagne vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450d F.
- Massage hens with olive oil so they are complete coated.
- Rub well w/Herbs de Provence and salt & pepper, inside & out.
- Stuff orange quarter in cavity of each.
- Place breast-up in roasting pan.
- Whisk together Maple syrup, oil, butter and vinegar, and any remaining Herbs de Provence.
- Drizzle about 1/2 of mixture over birds, place in center of oven and roast 12min, basting once w/remaining sauce and any drippings from pan using basting brush.
- Then, turn birds breast-down, and continue roasting & basting approx another 10+min til done (use meat thermometer if you're unsure, but BE CAREFUL not to overcook).
- Remove from oven and rest before serving.
- I serve them halved, on a bed of white & wild rice.
NotesI use Game Hens mostly, but Quail would likely do well, too, though it would need to roast for only about 1/2 as long. This was one of my daughter's fav dishes when she was younger. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, so she's a little twisted and got a kick out of saying we were having BIRDS for supper. See, we kept birds- parakeets, cockatiels, canaries, etc.... I think she relished the parallel and very thin distinction.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More