- Cooking Time: 25-30MIN
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10MIN
- 4 Game hens, rinsed and patted dry, wingtips trimmed
- Olive oil
- 1/4c Herbs de Provence
- Salt & Black pepper
- 1 Orange, quartered
- 1/4c real Maple syrup
- 1/8c Olive Oil
- 1/4stick melted butter
- splash or three Champagne vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450d F.
- Massage hens with olive oil so they are complete coated.
- Rub well w/Herbs de Provence and salt & pepper, inside & out.
- Stuff orange quarter in cavity of each.
- Place breast-up in roasting pan.
- Whisk together Maple syrup, oil, butter and vinegar, and any remaining Herbs de Provence.
- Drizzle about 1/2 of mixture over birds, place in center of oven and roast 12min, basting once w/remaining sauce and any drippings from pan using basting brush.
- Then, turn birds breast-down, and continue roasting & basting approx another 10+min til done (use meat thermometer if you're unsure, but BE CAREFUL not to overcook).
- Remove from oven and rest before serving.
- I serve them halved, on a bed of white & wild rice.
NotesI use Game Hens mostly, but Quail would likely do well, too, though it would need to roast for only about 1/2 as long. This was one of my daughter's fav dishes when she was younger. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, so she's a little twisted and got a kick out of saying we were having BIRDS for supper. See, we kept birds- parakeets, cockatiels, canaries, etc.... I think she relished the parallel and very thin distinction.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More