- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 6-8 frozen Eggo homestyle waffles
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 12 ounces maple sausage (pork or turkey)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375-degees and toast waffles on a baking sheet on both sides for about 10 minutes. Brown sausage until no longer pink and drain on paper towels. Coat an 8 X 8 inch square baking dish with non-stick spray or butter. Arrange 4 waffles in the bottom and sprinkle with half the sausage and half the cheese. Repeat layer, with remaining waffles, sausage and cheese. Wisk eggs and milk in a bowl with the syrup, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the waffles layers. Cover with plastic wrap and set a weight on top. (I used another square pan set on top of the plastic wrap, with canned food set in the empty pan.)
- Refrigerate over night or for at least 1 hour. Preheat oven to 325-degrees, uncover casserole and bake 45 to 50 minutes until edges are puffy. Cool 5 minutes and serve.
NotesNote: After their typical exhaustive research, Cook's determined that Eggo Homestyle waffles worked best. So, I used them. Don't use thick Belgium style waffles, which will make the casserole taste dry.