- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 9-12
- Preparation Time:
- French Toast
- 12 slices of thick bread, such as Texas Toast (I've also used Challah)
- 2 8-oz pkgs of cream cheese
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 10 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups milk
- Blueberry Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsps corn starch
- 2 cups fresh or frozen wild Maine blueberries
- (added to the recipe one cup at a time--see instructions)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cube. Spray the bottom of a 9"x13" glass baking dish with vegetable spray and place half the cubes of bread in the pan. Cube the cream cheese and put on top of the bread. Distribute one cup of fresh or frozen blueberries over the cream cheese. Place remaining bread over the blueberries.
- Beat the eggs, add the maple syrup and the milk. Pour mixture over bread and cheese. Place plastic wrap over dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake the French toast, covered with foil, in the middle of a preheated 350° F oven for 30 minutes, remove the foil, and bake the French toast for 30 minutes more, or until it is puffed and golden.
- While the French toast is baking, make the blueberry sauce:
- Cook the water, cornstarch, sugar, and 1-cup blueberries until it thickens.
- Then, add one more cup of blueberries and the butter.
- Pour over individual pieces, slice and twist a lemon slice over the top for garnish, and serve.
- (Note, it is best if you let the Blueberry Stuffed French Toast sit for about 10 minutes before slicing). You can substitute raspberries for the blueberries or use a combination of both.
- Serve the French toast topped with the warm blueberry sauce.
NotesMy mom got this recipe from a friend a few years ago and it's been a family favorite ever since! It feeds a crowd, so it's perfect for brunch and get-togethers. I cut the recipe in half when I'm just cooking for two - there will still be plenty of leftovers too!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More