- Cooking Time: 20-30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryI used to work with Marcy. I think this was her mom's recipe. It really is easy!! And it smells delicious.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup dark cold tea
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a loaf pan
- Sift flour, soda and spices together. I usually stir well with a fork instead, sifting is messy. Cake flour will give it a fine texture, but add 2 tablespoons more.
- Cream shortening and brown sugar together will blended, creamy and slightly fluffy. With a stand mixer I do speed 2 for about 2 minutes. Beat in egg and molasses.
- Add tea and flour, alternating until well mixed. I do this on the lowest speed. Beating it to hard or too long with make the cake tough.
- Pour into pan and tap on counter to level.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Begin checking for doneness at 20 min. When toothpick or cake tester comes out clean it's done. Easy check is jiggle the oven rack, if the cake moves it's not done.
- It's good with homemade whipped cream, ice cream or applesauce.