- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA favorite Mardi Gras appetizer is crab cakes because they’re easy to make beforehand and are good at just about any temperature. Using fresh crabmeat makes them extra delicious.
- * 1.5 Pounds fresh crabmeat, flaked
- * 4 Egg whites
- * 1 Whole egg
- * 6 Tablespoons fresh minced chives
- * 3 Tablespoons flour
- * 2 Teaspoons Tabasco
- * 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- * ½ Teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- * ½ Teaspoon garlic salt
- * ¼ Teaspoon pepper
- * 2 Cups bread crumbs
- * Olive oil
- Beat the egg whites with the whole egg and add the chives, flour, Tabasco, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Fold in the crab and then refrigerate the entire mix for about two hours.
- Each crab cake will be about ¼ cup of the crab mixture. Take ¼ cup crab mixture and drop it into the bread crumbs and coat it while forming it into a patty.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet (nonstick works best) over medium high heat and bake for about 4 minutes each side. You want a nice golden brown finish.
- If you want to boost the Cajun flavor a little more, add some additional Cajun seasonings to the breadcrumbs.