- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryBased on my husband's fabulous let's-stay-in-tonight margarita!
- Margarita Cupcakes
- 9 oz Margarita mix (such as Mrs. T's or Bacardi)
- 3 oz tequila (Sauza Conmemorativo is a house-fave)
- 3/4 oz Grand Marnier
- White cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1 recipe Lime Buttercream Icing (recipe follows)
- Mix together the margarita mix, tequila, and Grand Marnier in a large glass or spouted bowl. You will use 1 1/4 cup of this in the cupcake mix. Pour the remainder over ice and enjoy the mini-rita while you're baking.
- In a stand mixer, add the cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, lime zest, and 1 1/4 cup of the margarita mixture. Mix on low for about 30 seconds and then increase to medium speed for two minutes (the batter will still be a bit lumpy).
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pan and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick registers done in the center cupcake. Remove the pan from the oven and cook 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and cool completely on a baking rack.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, make the icing and ice the cupcakes.