- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 cups
- Preparation Time:
- 6-7 medium limes
- 3 cups sugar (about)
- 3 tablespoons tequila, preferably silver
- 1 tablespoon triple sec or Cointreau liqueur
- Zest the limes, measuring 6 tablespoons to 1/2 cup lightly packed lime peel (The strips of peel should be no wider than about 1/4 inch).
- Using a sharp knife, peel off the white pith from the limes and discard it.
- Chop lime fruit, eliminating the seeds; measure 1 1/3 cups of pulp.
- Place the zest in a heavy nonreactive saucepan; cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; boil 1 minute, and pour off water.
- Add the chopped pulp and 3 cups water to the pan; let the mixture stand, lightly covered, for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Sterilize 3 half-pint canning jars.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; boil until the fruit and zest are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Measure the fruit and its liquid and add an equal amount of sugar.
- Bring the mixture back to a full rolling boil; boil until it gels, which may be as little as 3 minutes more since it is already hot.
- Spoon a teaspoon of the marmalade onto a chilled saucer; let the mixture sit for about 10 seconds, then tip the sauce of bit; if the liquid separates and runs like water across the plate, it is not done yet.
- Test every minute or two, until the marmalade holds a soft shape.
- Stir in the tequila and Triple Sec.
- Pour the marmalade into the jars, leaving at least 1/4 inch headspace.
- Cover, cool, and refrigerate, or process in a boiling-water bath for longer storage.
- Store upside down for the first few hours to help distribute the fruit evenly.
- It takes at least several hours for the marmalade to set up.
- It keeps refrigerated for several weeks.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More