- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For crust (Pâte Brisée):
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp ice water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- For Filling:
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Fresh lime slices (optional)
- To make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl blend the flour, butter, vegetable shortening, and salt until the mixture resembles meal. Add 2 Tbsp ice water, toss the mixture until the water is incorporated, adding more ice water if necessary, and form the dough into a ball. Dust the dough with flour and chill it, wrapped in wax paper, for 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough and press into three 6.5-in tart pans (with removable bottoms). Whisk the egg yolk with 2 tsp water and brush the egg wash onto the sides of the tart. Place a small sheet of parchment paper in the tart and cover with dry beans or uncooked rice to keep the bottom of the tart from rising. Bake until brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool
- To make the filling:
- Whisk together condensed milk, egg yolks, lime juice, tequila and oranbe zest in medium bowl. Set condensed milk mixture aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites with sugar in large bowl until soft peaks form. Using rubber spatula, gently fold 1 1/2 cups condensed milk mixture into whites. Fold remaining milk mixture into whites until just incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake until filling puffs up slightly and wooden pick inserted into center comes out with some moist filling attached, about 15-18 minutes.
- Cool tarts completely on rack. Chill until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours. Remove from the tart pan and garnish tart with whipped cream and lime slices
NotesWe’re big fans of margaritas. Big, HUGE fans. On the rocks, frozen with a Chambord floater (my new favorite), or baked into cupcakes. Why not come up with just *one* more excuse to play with my tart pans and cook with tequila :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More