MARGO'S SOUFFLE CAKE
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 8-16
- Preparation Time: 15 minuters
- •1 1/4 cups sugar divided
- •8 large eggs (room temperature) and separated
- •1/3 cup of orange liquor
- •4 oz unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
- •5 oz semisweet chocolate melted and cooled
- •1 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter melted and cooled
- •Preserves I usually use strawberry (I by a brand from England with Champagne in it) or you can us cherries or any preserve you wish with chocolate even the orange works well.
- •Top with:
- •Ganache: Bittersweet chocolate, chopped (4 ounces) & Heavy cream, heated until just under boil (1/2 cup). (see below)
- 1.Preheat oven to 350.
- 2.Prepare 9" spring form pan, grease and coat with 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- 3.In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup of sugar at high speed for 5 minutes.
- 4.On low speed beat in liquor then chocolate mixed with butter until well mixed.
- 5.In a separate bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 6.Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar.
- 7.Gently fold in chocolate mixture.
- 8.Pour into pan.
- 9.Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until cracked crust forms but center is still moist. (Or top is no longer shiny.)
- 10.Top with whatever you desire once cooled:
- 11.Layer to of jam or preserves (this gives it a nice little touch and breaks up the chocolate)
- 12.Layer of Ganache: Pour cream over chocolate. Stir gently don’t want to incorporate air. Stir very gently. Pour over cake rotate cake to cover top.
- 13.Serve with fresh Strawberries!!! Sliced, unsweetened
- 14.Whip Cream optional.
- 15.This is so sinful! Believe it or not I am not a huge chocolate fan. I love this recipe.
- 16.And to easy to make, If you don’t let it sit it will be like pudding. This is ok too! Alot of people can't wait for this to set up. Depends on how you like it. If you are in a chocolate addiction mode. If you let it sit it will cut nice, it should be mousse like. Once you refrigerate it it will become more dense. When we eat this if there is any left overs, I microwave mine a bit to soften it. Even in the cold stage it is delicious. All a matter of preference.
- 17.Use very dark chocolate for this.
NotesOh this is heavenly. This was made and given to me as a gift. It is light airy and souffle like. It looks like a flourless chocolate cake but it is not dense like a flourless cake. Please top this off with a preserve and ganache. I serve it with fresh strawberries and homemade whip cream. It is like a mousse and a fluffy cake. It depends on what stage you eat the cake. You can eat it as it comes out of the oven it will be like a warm pudding. IF you leave it warm temp it is mousse like and very airy. When you refrigerate it it becomes more fudge like. I usually nuk it a bit only because I like it soft. ENJOY. This is an amazing dessert. Thank you Elizabeth and Margo. I am so addicted to this as is the entire family. It is heavenly. Bring dessert anytime!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More