MARIAS SPEZZATINO -ITALIAN
- 2 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes (900g)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (120ml)
- 3 cups of red wine (710ml)
- 1/2 cup tomato purÌe (120ml)
- salt and fresh black pepper to season
In a large stewing pot, heat extra virgin olive oil and sear beef for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove beef from the pot and add carrots, celery, and onions. Cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables have become soft.
Add 1 cup of red wine and let reduce.
Add the potatoes to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
Throw the seared beef back into the pot then add tomato purÌe and the remaining wine.
Let the liquid come to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for an hour and a half