- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots, processed
- 3 stalks celery, processed
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 can beef consommé
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce (not puree)
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium-size cans mushrooms (stems and pieces)
- 1 to 2 cups red wine
- 1. In a large pot (not aluminum), add the olive oil, all the processed and chopped vegetables, and ½ can of the consommé; sauté on medium-low heat until tender (about 5 to 6 minutes), stirring often.
- 2. Add the Italian seasoning and basil; “cook in” for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, on medium-low heat.
- 3. Add the sugar, garlic salt, remaining ½ can of consommé, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 2 cups of water; simmer uncovered for 1 to 2 hours.
- 4. Add the mushrooms and 1 cup of wine. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more wine; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Note: If adding meat, brown the meat and add 1 hour before the sauce is done