- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryBeing on South Beach, this is a staple in my house but it isn't really a SB recipe - it's just a great recipe!
- 1/3 medium red onion, quartered
- 3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 2/3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound flank steak
- dash of salt
- dash of coarsely ground black pepper
- Sliver one-quarter of the onion and set aside. Chop the rest of the onion.
- Mix it in a bowl with the vinegar, capers, oregano, and garlic.
- Combine 1⁄4 cup of this mixture with the slivered onions and set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with the salt and pepper; prick well with a fork.
- In a large zip-top food-storage bag, combine the steak with the remaining onion mixture.
- Marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat the grill or the broiler, positioning the oven broiler rack so that the meat on the rack in the pan is 4" from the heat source.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, and place on the grill over direct heat or on an oven rack set in the broiler pan.
- Discard the marinade.
- Grill or broil for 4–5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place the meat on a platter and pour the reserved onion mixture over the steak