- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- You Will Need
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- One 1 1/2-inch cube ginger, peeled
- 1 medium-size jalapeño pepper, halved, cored, and seeded
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 pounds flank steak, well trimmed
- What to Do
- Puree all ingredients except steak in a food processor.
- Pour marinade into a large self-sealing plastic bag, add steak, seal, turn to coat well, and refrigerate 5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill or broiler.
- Remove steak from marinade, pat dry on paper towels, and grill over moderate coals or broil 4 inches from the heat until steak is the way you like it -- 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare and 6 to 7 minutes for medium.
- Flank steak cooked beyond medium will be tough. Let stand about 10 minutes, then, starting on the shorter side of the steak, slice on the bias and across the grain as thin as possible.
- Serves: 4
- Per serving: Calories 363; total fat 18 g; saturated fat 7 g; protein 42 g; carbohydrate 6 g; fiber 0 g; sodium 170 mg; cholesterol 104 mg
- Grilled Porterhouse
- Prepare as directed, using the following marinade: 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 peeled cloves garlic, 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Substitute 1 ( 1 1/4-inch-thick, 1-pound 10-ounce) porterhouse steak for flank steak.
- Grilled Tenderloin
- Prepare as directed, using the following marinade: 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 2 peeled whole shallots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Substitute 4 (1 1/4-inch-thick, 1/2-pound) tenderloin steaks.
- Rubbed Sirloin
- Substitute this dry rub for marinade: 2 tablespoons ground cumin, 3 minced cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano. Rub on both sides of 4 (1/2-inch-thick, 5-ounce) sirloin steaks and grill 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
NotesMy family makes this all the time. We first discovered the recipe in Reader's Digest and it has become a family Sunday Night dinner tradition.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Angel Acres Soup & Chili CookbookSee More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More