- Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- Servings: Serves 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek, ground fresh chili paste
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- Sea alt and freshly ground black pepper
- Use a damp towel to gently wipe the mushrooms clean. Then use the dull side of a small paring knife to gently scrape off the gills from the underside of the mushroom. (This little extra step is important because this portion of the mushroom can become quite bitter when it's grilled.)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the tamari or soy with the lime juice, scallion, garlic and chili paste.
- Then gradually mix in the oil and blend until smooth.
- Place the two mushrooms in a large zip-lock bag and pour the marinade over them. Use your hands to ensure the marinade is evenly covering both sides of the mushrooms. Place the bag in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, when you're ready to cook, preheat your BBQ or stove-top grill. Remove the mushrooms from the bag, gently shaking any excess marinade back into the bag. (Save this for later!) Place the mushrooms on a large plate and season both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Place the mushrooms on the preheated grill -- if you don't hear a sizzle, take them off until it's hot enough! They will not grill and caramelize properly unless the grill is hot enough! Grill the mushrooms until they are nicely charred and tender, about 3 or 4 minutes per side.
- Pour the excess marinade onto a serving plate and set aside. After the mushrooms have rested for about 5 minutes, cut them into then slices and place them on the plate with the marinade. Unlike when you're cooking "real" meat, this is totally safe to do! ;-)
- The mushrooms can be served, hot, warm, room temperature or chilled in a salad!
NotesPortabella mushrooms are "meaty." Really, they are! Just ask my vegetarian husband. As if he'd know, right? Actually, the truth is, while they certainly can't compete with a perfect rib-eye or flank steak, they are indeed a very hearty mushroom!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
NFPG Recipe CollectionSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More