- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 30
- 3/4 pound elbow macaroni
- Extra-virgin olive oil for dizzling
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 TBS freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (4oz) shredded extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups (4oz) shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups (4oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4oz cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni for 3 minutes (should still be very chewy).
Drain macaroni and return it to the pot
Drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss well.
Butter a 10-15 inch baking dish
In large bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the half-and-half, milk, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
Stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses and the macaroni.
Spread the mac and cheese in the prepared baking dish and scatter the cream cheese cubes on top.
Bake the macaroni for minutes.
Using the back of a large spoon, spread the melted cream cheese cubes evenly over the surface.
Bake for 40 minutes, until bubbling.
Remove the baking dish from the oven.
Preheat the broiler.
Broil the mac and cheese about 3 inches from the heat source until richly browned (about 2 minutes).
Let stand for at least 10 and up to 20 minutes before serving.