- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 30
- 3/4 pound elbow macaroni
- Extra-virgin olive oil for dizzling
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 TBS freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (4oz) shredded extra-sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups (4oz) shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups (4oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4oz cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni for 3 minutes (should still be very chewy).
- Drain macaroni and return it to the pot
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss well.
- Butter a 10-15 inch baking dish
- In large bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the half-and-half, milk, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses and the macaroni.
- Spread the mac and cheese in the prepared baking dish and scatter the cream cheese cubes on top.
- Bake the macaroni for minutes.
- Using the back of a large spoon, spread the melted cream cheese cubes evenly over the surface.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until bubbling.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil the mac and cheese about 3 inches from the heat source until richly browned (about 2 minutes).
- Let stand for at least 10 and up to 20 minutes before serving.
NotesVongerichten's wife's recipe
Food & Wine June 2008
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1See More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More