- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 2 loaves
- Preparation Time: 180 (including rising)
- 1 C water
- 3/4 C milk
- 1 C whole bran cereal (All-bran)
- 3 T sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- 6 T oleo (margarine)
- 1/3 C honey or molasses
- 1 T orange zest
- 1/2 C warm water (110)
- 2 packages yeast
- 3 C whole wheat flour
- 3 C white flour
- Combine water and milk; bring to a boil. Add next 6 ingredients. Cool to lukewarm.
- Measure 1/2 C warm water into large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast. Stir to dissolve. Add cereal mixture and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Add white flour. Knead 8-10 minutes.
- Put in a greased bowl. Cover, rise in a warm place - double 1 hour.
- Punch down, divide in half. Roll each half into a 8x12 rectangle, roll and shape into loaves, tucking ends under. Place in loaf pans. Cover, rise 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
NotesThis is my late grandmother's recipe. She would make this every summer when we visited the cottage in Upper Michigan. We would have it for breakfast with butter and her raspberry preserves that she canned every summer, and again as ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. I made this a few weekends ago myself. The recipe card is from her box that my mother inherited when my grandmother passed away earlier this year.
This makes a dense, healthy, slightly sweet wheat bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More