- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 14 - 18
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy free margarine, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy free margarine or coconut oil
- ¼ cup soymilk
- Topping: ½ cup flaked, sweetened coconut
- Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two (or three) 9-inch cake pans.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together margarine, sugar, coconut milk, vinegar, vanilla, and coconut. Cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour to creamed mixture, beating until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks.
- Cool completely. In the meantime prepare frosting. Fill and spread cake layers with frosting and garnish with coconut flakes. Cook’s Note: As each layer is stacked, you can stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting (just be sure to warn your guests).
NotesMy mom used to make coconut cake for my birthday most every year. As an adult I decided to become vegan and set myself on a quest to veganize my birthday cake. It's delicious and because it's vegan, I like to imagine that it's healthy too!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Babette's Test Kitchen
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More