- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 package (16 oz.) white mini marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds sifted confectioners' sugar (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
- 1 teaspoon butter flavor
- Grease the inside of a large microwavable bowl with vegetable shortening (Crisco).
- Place marshmallows, flavorings and 2 tablespoons of water in your greased bowl and into microwave. Microwave 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving 30 seconds more; stir again. Continue until melted (about 2 1/2 minutes).
- Place 3/4 of the confectioners´ sugar on top of the melted marshmallow mix. Grease hands and counter GENEROUSLY; turn marshmallow mixture onto counter. Start kneading like you would bread dough. NOTE: Please be careful, this first stage can get hot. Continue kneading, adding additional confectioners' sugar and re-greasing hands and counter when the fondant sticks. If the mix is tearing easily, it is too dry; add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time then knead it in). Continue kneading until mixture forms a firm, smooth elastic ball that will stretch without tearing, about 8 minutes.
- YIELD: Makes about 2 pounds fondant.
- Place solid vegetable shortening in easily accessed bowl so you can reach into it with fingers as you are working.
- It´s best to allow Marshmallow Fondant to sit, double wrapped, overnight. Prepare the fondant for storing by coating with solid vegetable shortening, wrap in a plastic wrap and then place in resealable bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Marshmallow Fondant will hold well in refrigerator for several weeks.