- Cooking Time: 6 minutes, at least
- Preparation Time: 15-30 minutes, at least
- 3/4 c. cold water
- 2 1/4-ounce packets powdered gelatin
- 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 1/2 c. corn syrup
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 vanilla beans (I used 2 tsp. vanilla extract)
- Combine 3/4 c. cold water and gelatin in a small bowl.
- Mix confections’ sugar and cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the cornstarch mixture in an 8-inch square pan.
- Cook corn syrup, granulated sugar, 1/2 c. water, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat until temp reach 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer, 6 to 8 minutes. Combine the syrup, gelatin mixture, and the seeds from the vanilla beans (or extract) in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium-high until thick and fluffy, about 6 minutes (It took me close to 20 minutes).
- Scrape into the pan and spread evenly with a buttered spatula. Sprinkle with the remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Let dry overnight, then slice into squares.
NotesMakes a nice Christmas gift when paired with a jar of homemade cocoa mix.
Also, the marshmallows are great dipped in chocolate coating.