- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, plus more for pan
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow corn meal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Then you:
- Preheat the oven to 425 and coat an 8″ square pan with shortening. Melt butter in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat; add corn. Cook, stirring occasionally until the corn is softened and some of the kernels are a light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal. Using a pastry blender (or a fork) cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles course meal. Add milk, egg and corn, stirring just until combined. Do not overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake about 18-20 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- ** put in skull pans http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2090/2124774535_9ed06769f7_m.jpg
NotesStolen from Bake & Destroy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More