- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 35
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 19 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander.
- Place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain in the colander.
- Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
- Wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until the onion is tender and lightly brown.
- Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika.
- Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine.
- Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
NotesI got this recipe from my friend Martha, it's so simple and everyone loves it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Jean’s Recipe File
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce