- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 9-16
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or slightly less table salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon extra for brushing griddle
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen and thawed (optional)
- Preheat an electric griddle to 375°F, or place a griddle pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons melted butter, and whisk to combine. The batter should have small to medium lumps.
- Test the griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If the water bounces and spatters, the griddle is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter onto the griddle. Wipe off the excess with a folded paper towel.
- Using a 4-oz. ladle, about 1/2 cup (for a 6-inch pancake)*, pour the batter in pools 2 inches apart. If you wish to make blueberry pancakes, arrange a handful over the cooking pancake, pressing them in slightly. When the pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around the edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. If any batter oozes or blueberries roll out, push them back under with your spatula. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. You can keep the finished pancakes on a heat-proof plate in the oven at 175°F. Serve warm.
- *I use 1/4 to 1/3 cup as I prefer a smaller pancake.
NotesI absolutely love Martha's buttermilk waffles, so I thought that I would give these a try. I don't particularily care for regular pancakes because they always seem so heavy to me, but these are so light and tasty I will be making them often! I love them with the blueberries, but I imagine you could put almost any kind of fruit on top. My daughter likes them with chocolate chips.
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More