Mary Tani's Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings
• 2 Cup Sugar
• 1 1/3 Cup Water
• 4 Tablespoons Catsup or Chili Sauce
• 1 1/3 Cup Vinegar
• ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
• 2 Corn Starch
• 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
• 2 ea Eggs, beaten
• 2 tsp Savory Salt, Seasoned Salt, or salt substitute
• 2-4 tsp Chili Powder (to taste)
• 4 Dozen Chicken Wings
• Cooking Oil
1. Sauce: Mix first five ingredients in a sauce pan and boil 15 minutes, or longer for thicker sauce.
2. Batter: Mix next five ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Chicken: Disjoint wings. Discard tips, or save for stock pot. (Thin strips of chicken breast may be substituted for wings, if desired.)
4. Cooking: Heat oil in a heavy pan to 375º F. Dip chicken pieces in batter, and fry until browned. Drain on paper towels
5. Dipping: Soak cooked wings in the hot sauce for 1 – 2 minutes and drain back into pot.
6. Serve hot or cold.
Pairs Well With
This is fun to make during a party, because everyone gathers around the cook to grab pieces as they are finished. I gave up trying to serve it as a finished appetizer because it never reached the table. The production process acts as a conversation point for adults and kids.