- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt (I changed to 1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 cup potato water (warm)
- 1 cup milk (warm)
- 2 eggs
- 2 packs dry yeast plus 1/2 cup warm water
- 6-1/2 cups bread flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat milk until warm and add potato water. Mix together shortening, sugar, salt, and mashed potatoes. Add mix to milk and potato water. Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, place 1/2 cup warm water. Add yeast to dissolve. Then add to milk mixture. Add flour and make a stiff dough. Beat the mixture in an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Place in greased bowl and cover. Let rise in warm place until double in size. Punch down on floured surface. Cut and shape rolls as desired. Place on greased trays and cover to let rise until doubled in size. After baking at 400 degrees, brush with butter.
- Note: potato water is the liquid that is left over after you boil the potatoes. Potato water is good to use for a thick soup base or in bread making as above.
NotesI found this recipe on the Internet. Mary Tubbs is the mother of The Honorable Stephanie Tubbs Jones, U.S. Congresswoman, Ohio. She said this is her favorite recipe, and it has now become my favorite recipe for rolls.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
MidLife Road Trip's
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More