- Cooking Time: 10–15 (3–4 if frying)
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dry sherry
- 2 tsp tarragon, chopped
- 1 tsp capers, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3½ tbsp dry breadcrumbs
- ½ tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lb backfin*
- 1 lb jumbo lump**
- Preheat oven broiler or fryer.
- Beat together egg, lemon juice, mayonnaise, sherry, tarragon, capers, parsley, breadcrumbs, Old Bay, ketchup and mustard. Gently mix in back fin.
- Carefully fold in Jumbo lump, with caution not to break.
- For Crab Cakes, weigh out 6 ounces each. For Crab balls, weigh out 1 ounce balls.
- Broil for 10–15 minutes or fry for approximately 3–4 minutes until lightly brown.
Notes*BACK FIN - The back fin portion consists of flakes of white meat, coming from the special meat and the jumbo lump. Back fin is a popular crab meat for Chesapeake Bay, MD style crab cakes.
**JUMBO LUMP - The jumbo lump crab meat comes from larger crabs, it is the meat from the two large muscles connected to the swimming legs. Contrary to smaller portions of crab meat, it can be used whole. It has a brilliant white color.