- Cooking Time: 10 min
- Servings: 10 appetizer portions
- Preparation Time: 10 min
- 1. 1 can cream of shrimp soup – you can also use cream of celery or cream of mushroom, or omit it entirely and use mayonnaise or sour cream.
- 2. 8 oz package of plain cream cheese
- 3. Fresh lemon juice – taste it as you go and add it as needed.
- 4. Old Bay – us at least 1Tbs and add more depending upon how spicy and strong you want the taste.
- 5. Worcestershire Sauce – put 3 or 4 shakes in and then add more if you like the taste. You could also use Sherry instead of or in addition to.
- 6. White pepper to taste – and/or a couple of shakes of Tabasco.
- 7. Crab meat - as much as you like, but I would use at least 1 pound, and try to get the back fin or lump crab, but any kind will work. You can also use steamed shrimp cut into whatever size you want
- 1. Heat the soup and cream cheese in a double boiler to get them creamy
- 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and heat through.
- 3. Adjust the seasoning by adding more lemon or Old Bay to taste.
- 4. Add milk a little at a time, if you want it runnier for dipping.
- 5. If you want a cold spread, you can put all ingredients in a food processor and omit the double boiler.
- 6. Serve with crackers, French bread, or chips for dipping.
NotesMy family is from Baltimore, Maryland, and as every native Baltimorean knows, crab dip is essential fare at every gathering. This dip has many variations and is very hard to mess up as long as you have real Maryland blue crab meat (i.e., not "krab") and Old Bay Seasoning. If you don't have one of the other ingredients, be creative with whatever you have on hand, or leave it out! Keep in mind that your single focus is to get Maryland (or Louisiana) blue crab and Old Bay onto your taste buds. The rest of the ingredients are merely tag alongs!
Submitted by: "Winslow Waxter"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More