- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 8-15
- 3-4 lb potatoes
- 1/2 - 1 C milk
- 3 TB butter or more
- Plain yogurt
- or sour cream
- or cream cheese
- white pepper
- Take the potatoes and wash them well, and remove blemishes. You can remove the skin or not depending on your taste.
- Cut them up so that they are close to the same size so they will cook in about the same time. I do about 1" squares.
- Rinse them off again if necessary.
- Place them in a big pot. You need at least an inch and a half to the top of the pot or it will boil over and make a mess.
- Fill the pot with water until its just a tiny bit above the potatoes.
- (My mom insisted on this, but I never didn't do it, so I'm not sure why... I think the potatoes might take in extra water and get water logged??)
- Add some salt - a tsp or so.
- Put it on the burner on high and boil the potatoes until they are tender. Its probably 10-12 minutes.
- To tell if they are done, the potatoes should literally fall apart when you put your fork in them.
- Drain the potatoes in strainer and put in a big bowl (with high edges unless your going to mash them manually).
- Important!! Do NOT let them get cold or even cool! They will congeal and get meally and kind of gross!
- Pour in 1/2 cup milk and 3 tb butter and put on a layer of salt and mix on medium.
- As they begin to get mixed you can add more milk to get the texture you want. Taste a few times and keep adding salt and white pepper if you love pepper like I do.
- It will start to get mealy if you go to long - again related to temp. Just try to get it where you want while the potatoes are still pretty warm.
- Sour cream, yogurt or cream cheese for some reason make the potatoes reheat better... last longer in the fridge. I use 1/2 cup of one or the other.
NotesA younger friend was wishing there were some really basic how to recipies. One she mentioned was mashed potatoes. Mine are pretty good, but feel free to comment if you disagree or anything!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More