MASSAMAN CURRY RECIPE
Massaman Curry Recipe
See all Christopher Ranch California Heirloom Garlic Recipes
- Servings: 4
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 pound boiling potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 12-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes (about 4), cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, five-spice powder, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in the broth and then the coconut milk; bring to a simmer. Stir in the potatoes, cover, and cook over low heat until they are almost tender, about 12 minutes.
2. Add the chicken to the sauce, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the peanuts, tomatoes, cilantro, and the remaining 12 teaspoon salt. Turn the heat off, cover, and let steam until the chicken is just done, about 2 minutes longer.
3. Menu Suggestion
For this curry, steamed white rice is the only accompaniment you need.