- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 grams Chios mastic
- 170 grams confectioners’ sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- whites of 4 large eggs
- 20 grams butter
- a little flour
- 30 grams sugar
- Carefully wash and dry the mixer bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 140º C.
- Pound the mastic crystals to a fine powder and combine with the confectioners sugar and lemon rind.
- In the mixer beat the egg whites until they become firm.
- Add 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar, continuing to beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining confectioners sugar, sprinkling the powder over the bowl while working the mixer, until the meringue glistens and holds its shape.
- Empty the meringue into the cleanest possible pastry horn.
- Lightly butter a large, clean baking sheet and sprinkle it with a little flour.
- Use the pastry horn to squeeze out 24 egg-shaped meringues, sprinkle them with sugar and let them stand 10 minutes to absorb the sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, lower the oven to 120º C and bake for another 45-60 minutes.
- The meringues should be as white as milk with only the sugar crystals tinted gold in contrast to the surface as a whole.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and gently unstuck the meringues, turn them upside down and bake for 5-6 minutes to make sure their insides dry.
- Serve with kaimaki ice cream, if you can find it, or the ice cream of your choice.
Notes*Mastic is the crystallized resin of a tree found only in southern Chios and because of its gummy texture was highly prized as the first chewing gum. Kaimaki ice cream is also made with mastic, giving it a taste quite distinct from vanilla. If mastic is not available, use a few drops of vanilla extract in the meringues, always available to greek stores
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Classic Chocolate RecipesSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More