- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 med. chopped onion
- 2 T. flour
- 1 t. curry powder
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 T. honey
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/4 t. fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon, set aside.
- Reserve 2 T. bacon drippings.
- Add mushrooms and onions to drippings and cook until tender.
- Stir in flour and curry powder until blended.
- Gradually add broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- Add pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Heat through.
- Garnish with bacon.
NotesMy husband saw the original recipe in a cookbook and begged me to make it. I was wary at first, I'd only had pumpkin that was sweet. Well, this savory soup hooked me. The original recipe was vegetarian, with vegetable stock and no bacon. We added the bacon and cayenne pepper. My 5 year old son regularly eats 3 bowls of this delicious soup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More