MATZAH BALL SOUP
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Whole Chicken- cleaned out and washed. (Free range~ organic if possible)
- 2 Leeks (stalks, washed and chopped)
- 15 cloves of garlic (give or take a few)-chopped
- Large Yellow Onion
- 6 cubes of chicken consome or bullion
- Small bag of baby carrots
- Stalk of celery hearts (washed and chopped to bite size pieces)
- Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- Bay Leaf
- Dried parsley (2 tsp or more)
- INGREDIENTS FOR MATZAH BALLS:
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 Lg Eggs
- 1/2 C Matzo Meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP of chicken soup or water
- DIRECTIONS FOR SOUP:
- 1)Fill largest pot you have with water.
- 2)Add all soup ingredients to the pot
- 3)When the chicken is falling off bone and completely cooked. Remove chicken from the soup.
- 4)Remove chicken from the bones into a seperate bowl.
- 5)Put deboned cooked chicken back into pot. ***I save half of the chicken and make chicken salad for more lunch or snack meals.
- 6)Continue to boil soup ~ get ready to make Matzah Balls.
- DIRECTIONS TO MAKE MATZAH BALLS:
- 1)Blend Oil, eggs, matzo meal, and salt in a bowl.
- 2)Add soup stock or water until uniformed.
- 3)Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 15 - 20 minutes.
- 4)Make 1 inch in size balls out of matzah mix.
- 5)Drop balls into pot (on medium heat) for 30-40 minutes.
- Balls will expand double in size.
- Cook Time approximately 4-5 hours depending on size of chicken.
- Serving suggestions: with egg noodles, rice, matzah crackers, soup nuts, or as is.
NotesThis recipe comes from dual effort (Michael and Mine).
We make this soup almost weekly. I can't stop craving it. It's enough for a dinner, and then 3-4 lunches depending on your family size.
We just tweaked this recipe adding what ever sounded good. So this comes straight from yours truly.
Serving suggestions: with egg noodles, rice, matzah crackers, soup nuts, or as is.