- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 large egg
- 1 - 1 1/2 TB Lemon Juice, Lime Juice or Vinegar. (not Rice Vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Pinch of White Pepper
- 1 Cup of Oil (I use light Olive or Macadamia nut oil)
- In a blender, add egg, lemon juice, mustard, salt and 1/4 cup of the oil.
- Cover and blend for 10 seconds to begin emulsion.
- Start the blender again, remove the center of the lid, while blender continues to run, pour the remaining 3/4 cup of oil in a steady stream.
- When the mixture turns white and creamy, you have your emulsion and it is done.
- Spoon out of blender and into a clean pint sized mason jar.
- Screw down the lid and leave on the counter for about 1 hour.
NotesThis may seem a little basic, but after making my own, I cannot stand the prepackaged stuff anymore.
The Citric acid in the lemon/lime juice or the Acetic acid from the vinegar will kill the salmonella (If it's even present) as well as any other microbes and nasties that may have been lurking anywhere. If you place it in the refrigerator right away these acids cannot do it's work.