- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 egg yolks, hard-boiled
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Almond topping
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces blanched almonds, sliced
- Sift 2 cups flour and sugar together into a deep mixing bowl.
- Use a spoon to push the egg yolks through a fine sieve into
- the flour mixture; mix well.
- Add the almonds, vanilla, and cream to flour mixture; and
- beat in 1/2 lb of butter, a few tablespoons at a time.
- Knead with your hands until dough is smooth and can be formed
- into a compact ball.
- Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a large cookie sheet with the remaining tablespoon of
- butter; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of flour, tipping
- from side to side to cover completely and evenly.
- Turn the sheet upside down and tap on the bottom to shake off
- any excess flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4" thin and
- place on buttered cookie sheet, using fingers to spread dough
- so it completely covers the bottom of the pan.
- Brush entire surface with egg, then sprinkle evenly with sliced
- almonds, gently pressing
- them into the dough.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown (20-25 minutes).
- Remove from oven, and with a lightly buttered knife, cut into
- 2"x1" bars.
- Carefully transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Christmas CookiesSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More