- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese , grated on small holes of box grater (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium rib celery , chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (powdered)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread cheese on plate and place in freezer until ready to use.
- Heat butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until foaming; add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, and paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add tomato juice.
- Cook, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Whisk broth and eggs in large bowl until combined. Sprinkle gelatin over liquid and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, mustard, saltines, parsley, salt, pepper, and onion mixture.
- Crumble frozen cheese into coarse powder and sprinkle over mixture.
- Add ground beef; mix gently with hands until thoroughly combined, about 1 minute.
- Transfer meat to foil rectangle and shape into 10-by-6-inch oval about 2 inches high.
- Smooth top and edges of meat loaf with moistened spatula.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaf reads 135 to 140 degrees, 55 to 65 minutes.
- Remove meat loaf from oven and turn on broiler.
- While meat loaf cooks, prepare glaze.
- Spread half of glaze evenly over cooked meat loaf with rubber spatula; place under broiler and cook until glaze bubbles and begins to brown at edges, about 5 minutes.
- Remove meat loaf from oven and spread evenly with remaining glaze; place back under broiler and cook until glaze is again bubbling and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more.
- Let meat loaf cool about 20 minutes before slicing.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More