- Cooking Time: 85 min
- Servings: 8-12 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 6 cups beef broth (water and bullion are acceptable)
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1. Throughly mix together all of the meatball ingredients with your hands; shape into bite size meatballs.
- 2. Brown meatballs 1/2 at a time in a little cooking oil in a large frying pan (browning gives them more flavor then just tossing them into the soup); remove to a large stock pot.
- 3. Add the diced onion and wine (you can use broth or water instead of wine if desired) to the frying pan that you used to browned the meatballs.
- 4. De-glaze (gently loosen and stir up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan by stirring with a whisk or spatula) the pan using the onions and wine until onions are caramelized and browned; add to the meatballs in your soup pot.
- 5. Add beef broth, garlic, oregano, basil and barley to the soup pot; simmer 20 minutes.
- 6. Add fresh vegetables to the soup; simmer for 15 minutes.
- 7. Add canned vegetables and corn to the soup; bring to a boil and stir in hoisin sauce.
NotesMy daughter loves meatballs and she loves barley soups so I came up with this on a cold and rainy winter day in Sacramento. It is rich and flavorful
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More