- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and minced
- 1/2 celery stalk, minced
- 3/4 lb ground beef, preferably chunk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes packed in juice, chopped fine, with juice reserved
- 1 - Heat the butter and olive oil in a casserole or large, deep saute pan with thick, heavy bottom. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and saute over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes.
- 2 - Add the beef and crumble with a fork to break apart. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and cook, stirring often, until meat just loses raw color, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until alcohol cooks off, about 4 minutes. Add the milk and nutmeg. Simmer until milk thickens a bit, about 4 minutes.
- 3 - Add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup of their juice. When the sauce starts to boil, reduce heat so that it cooks at barest simmer, with just an occasional bubble or two. Cook, uncovered, for 3 hours, turning down heat if sauce starts to simmer or scorch. If sauce dries out before it is done, add some reserved tomato juice. Adjust seasonings and serve.
- Sauce can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for several days or frozen for several months. Warm over low heat before using.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Holidays = Desserts = HappinessSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More