- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4 to 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large red bell pepper (or 1 prepared roasted red bell pepper - Trader Joe's has a good product)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp prepared steak sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground veal or beef
- If you are using a fresh red bell pepper instead of an already prepared roasted red pepper, cook red bell pepper over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Wrap in paper bag and let stand 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and slice pepper into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach and toss until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer spinach to small bowl.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet, then onions and garlic; sauté until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to large bowl.
- Stir breadcrumbs, eggs, basil, ketchup, thyme, mustard, steak sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper into onion mixture.
- Mix in veal.
- Place half of veal mixture in 9 x 5 x 3-inch metal loaf pan.
- Using back of spoon, make 1-inch-wide, 1/2-inch-deep canal lengthwise down middle of loaf.
- Lay half of red bell pepper strips in canal.
- Layer with spinach and remaining bell peppers. Fill pan with remaining veal mixture, pressing firmly.
- Bake meat loaf until brown on top and thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community CookbookSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More