- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 4 to 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large red bell pepper (or 1 prepared roasted red bell pepper - Trader Joe's has a good product)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp prepared steak sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground veal or beef
- If you are using a fresh red bell pepper instead of an already prepared roasted red pepper, cook red bell pepper over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Wrap in paper bag and let stand 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and slice pepper into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach and toss until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer spinach to small bowl.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet, then onions and garlic; sauté until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to large bowl.
- Stir breadcrumbs, eggs, basil, ketchup, thyme, mustard, steak sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper into onion mixture.
- Mix in veal.
- Place half of veal mixture in 9 x 5 x 3-inch metal loaf pan.
- Using back of spoon, make 1-inch-wide, 1/2-inch-deep canal lengthwise down middle of loaf.
- Lay half of red bell pepper strips in canal.
- Layer with spinach and remaining bell peppers. Fill pan with remaining veal mixture, pressing firmly.
- Bake meat loaf until brown on top and thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More