MEDITERRANEAN EGGPLANT (AUBERGINE) CAKES
- 4 servings
- 1 eggplant, sliced in 1/2 " slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg white, beaten (you may need more if you have a large eggplant)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (prefer white)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces feta cheese (can omit, to make healthier)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 green onions
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Brush eggplant slices evenly with olive oil.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and tender.
Remove from oven, and finely dice the eggplant slices.
In a medium bowl, combine the chopped eggplant pieces with the garlic, egg whites, parmesan, feta, breadcrumbs, basil and parsley and green onions.
Add the salt and pepper in quantities at your discretion.
Mix everything well and place in the refrigerator 20min to firm up.
(Note: add this stage you may adjust the mixture by adding more breadcrumbs if it does not hold well together).
Divide the mixture into 6-8 equal portions, and shape into a flattened ball.
Coat with flour.
Fry the fritters in shallow oil for 2 mins on either side, till they are golden brown.
Serve with a salad, lemon wedges and a yoghurt sauce to dip into, if preferred