- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup couscous (semolina), uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- about 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (or coriander or parsley)
- about 1/2 cup sliced green scallions
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced thinly
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped rather fine
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 3 rabioles, chopped rather fine or sliced (optional)
- 1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup lentils or chickpeas, cooked, washed and drained (or feta cheese)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (or more, to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or more, to taste)
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Bring water to boil, along with salt and 1 tbsp oil. Add the coucous, stir and cover. Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork before you add it to the salad. You may need to gently fluff it with your fingers.
- In a large bowl, combine all the veggies, basil and lentils or chickpeas. Add the couscous that has been fluffed into a large bowl and add the lemon juice and oil. Toss well and serve immediately if you wish. But, it tastes better if it sits for at least an hour. It tastes great served the next day.
NotesThis is so easy to make, it's really light and refreshing, and look at the beautiful colors. It's also very versatile. You can add any chopped vegetables that you like to the couscous. Nuts and olives can also be added.