- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2 cups
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- Melt butter over low heat in saucepan; do no let brown. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste. Add milk all at once and cook quickly, stirring constantly. When sauce bubbles and starts to thicken, remove it from heat at once.
- Add salt and any other desired seasoning. (If cooked too long, white sauce gets too thick and the butter separates out. When this happens, add a little more milk and cook quickly only 'til sauce bubbles.)
- Thin White Sauce: Use 2 Tb. butter and 2 Tb. flour.
- Thick White Sauce: Use 6 Tb. butter and 6 Tb. flour.
- Bacon: Pan-fry 3 slices bacon & use drippings for part of butter. Add drained crumbled bacon to sauce.
- Ham: Pan-fry 1/4 c. minced ham w/some fat and use drippings for part of butter. Add ham to sauce.
- Mustard: Add 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, first dissolved in 2 tsp. water to make a smooth paste.
- Horse-radish: Add 1 1/2-2 tsp. grated horse-radish.
- Curry: Add 1/2-1 tsp. curry powder, first mixed wtih 2 tsp. water to make a paste.
- Parsley: Add 2 tsp. parsley flakes or 2 Tb. chopped fresh parsley.
- Chives: Add 2 tsp. freeze-dried chives or 2 Tb. chopped fresh chives.
- Dill: Add 1-2 tsp. dill weed.
- Saffron: Add a pinch saffron for an attractive yellow color.
- Egg: Add 2 diced hard-cooked eggs (wonderful on spinach, asparagus and broccoli).
- Cheese: Add 2 c. grated or shredded process cheese and stir 'til it melts, heating if necessary. Some like to make a white sauce with 3 Tb. flour instead of 4 Tb. when making Medium White Sauce to which cheese will be added. The cheese thickens sauce a little.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking Texas 2013
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More