MEGAN LUST AND THE GLUTEN FREE VEGAN’S PIZZA BUNS
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 45
- dry ingredients:
- 1 cup chana (chickpea) flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 1/2 tsp xanthan
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sweetener
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- liquid ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- 2 flax eggs (Megan’s recipe here)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Add ins:
- 1 1/2 cup prepared pizza sauce or marinara sauce (Megan's Recipe Here)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Daiya vegan cheese
- In the work bowl of your mixer, combine flours, xanthan gum, salt, sugar, yeast, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Add flax egg, olive oil, vinegar, and water. Mix thoroughly.
- Lay out plastic wrap on work surface. Generously flour the plastic wrap with brown rice flour.
- Scrape batter onto plastic wrap. Generously flour the dough with brown rice flour then place another layer of plastic wrap over top.
- Lightly roll out dough with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4″ thick.
- Remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Gently spread pizza sauce over the entire rolled out surface. Sprinkle with Daiya vegan cheese shreds.
- Using the plastic wrap to assist you, gently roll up like a cinnamon bun, trying to roll it as tightly as possible.
- Slice into 1″ buns. (See Megan’s handy tip below.)
- Carefully move these buns onto a parchment lined baking sheet with lots of room left between buns for rising.
- Let rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 200 / 400°F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Dust off excess brown rice flour before serving.
- Megan’s Notes:
- Flouring your surfaces will do wonders to improve your results. So, don’t skimp on the brown rice flour. You can dust it off the finished buns when they come out of the oven.
- You can spread more pizza sauce and sprinkle more Daiya cheese shreds on top as the buns are baking if you like.
- To slice the buns nice and easily is to use unflavored dental floss. Slide the floss under the rolled up dough and measure 1″, then by pulling each end in opposite directions, use the floss to slice through the dough cleanly.
NotesI got this recipe from Megan Lust at The Gluten Free Vegan.
This was recipe #30 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event.
I LOVE Megan's tag line, "It's Gluten Free. It's Vegan. It Actually Tastes Good" and these pizza buns taste GOOOOOOD! They are quick and easy, and Megan even shows you how to make them in her You Tube Video.
I absolutely LOVE Daiya Cheese! It just HAS to be the BEST vegan cheese on the planet, and Megan uses it in spectacular fashion here! These pizza buns were gobbled up in record speed at our movie night last weekend. YUMMO! Everybody asked for the recipe! I prompted turned on Megan's video! LOL!
For more information about this recipe, check out Megan's original recipe post.
View Megan's instructional recipe video.
Learn more about Megan Lust at The Gluten Free Vegan.