- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- 6 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup nuts, optional
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nuts, optional
- Mix the mashed bananas, egg and butter in one bowl. In another bowl, mix the sugar, flour, salt and soda.
- Mix the ingredients of both bowls together. Add the nuts if you desire banana nut bread.
- In bread tins that have been greased with shortening and lightly covered with flour, fill with the mix about half to three-quarters.
- For the topping, melt about a tablespoon of butter and lightly sprinkle this over the batter.
- Then, lightly sprinkle brown sugar over this, followed by cinnamon.
- If desired, add some nuts to the top.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
NotesI got this from a friend years ago. We've since lost touch, but I still think of her when I make this bread. I misplaced the recipe a couple years ago and just found it again last month- I tried a few other banana bread recipes in the meantime but none were nearly as good!
I usually make a half recipe (1 loaf). The only change I've made to her recipe is to increase the amount of salt (the original called for 1/4 tsp for 2 loaves), and I like to add a few shakes (about 1/2 tsp per loaf?) of cinnamon or Penzey's Baking Spice blend to the batter as well.