- Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 cup Merlot
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- salt and pepper
- Rinse and dry the shanks.
- Rub them with plenty of oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a dutch oven and brown them well.
- Remove them from the pot and add the shallots and garlic.
- Saute them till soft then add the wine, scrap up the fond, reduce the heat and let it simmer till it doesn't smell boozy.
- Add a pinch of salt, the juice and the lamb.
- Cover it and let it cook for 2-3 hours, till the lamb is very tender.
- Remove the meat, turn up the heat and let the liquid reduce for a bit.
- Serve with the sauce.
NotesI love lamb, but don't often make it. So when I got my hands on some lamb shanks I really had no idea what to do with them. So I whipped up this braise with the Wine Clubs wine of the month and some pomegranate juice I had on hand. I didn't get any measurements for the herbs, just use lots. Remember they flavor the meat and the sauce. You could always replace the shallot with onion, just use around a half cup. Maybe a little less. You could easily do this in a crockpot too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Italy or BustSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More