- Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 cup Merlot
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- salt and pepper
- Rinse and dry the shanks.
- Rub them with plenty of oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a dutch oven and brown them well.
- Remove them from the pot and add the shallots and garlic.
- Saute them till soft then add the wine, scrap up the fond, reduce the heat and let it simmer till it doesn't smell boozy.
- Add a pinch of salt, the juice and the lamb.
- Cover it and let it cook for 2-3 hours, till the lamb is very tender.
- Remove the meat, turn up the heat and let the liquid reduce for a bit.
- Serve with the sauce.
NotesI love lamb, but don't often make it. So when I got my hands on some lamb shanks I really had no idea what to do with them. So I whipped up this braise with the Wine Clubs wine of the month and some pomegranate juice I had on hand. I didn't get any measurements for the herbs, just use lots. Remember they flavor the meat and the sauce. You could always replace the shallot with onion, just use around a half cup. Maybe a little less. You could easily do this in a crockpot too.