- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced ( Next time I would use only ½ of pepper).
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups fish or shellfish stock ( I used Clam juice that comes in a bottle)
- 2 cups whole milk (I used skim milk)
- 2 cups fresh corn, cut from the cob (about 2 ears)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced and parboiled for 5 minutes in salted water
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (I used about ½ tsp dried thyme)
- ¾ pound jumbo lump crabmeat (I used 1 #)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring until the bacon begins to brown (about 3 minutes).
- Add butter, onion, celery and bell pepper and cook until softened (about 3 more minutes).
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly (about 10 minutes). The resulting roux should have a light amber color and nutty smell.
- Add the stock and milk, turn the heat to high, and when the liquid simmers, add corn, potatoes and thyme and reduce heat to low.
- Cook uncovered until corn and potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Remove saucepan from the heat and add crabmeat and cayenne pepper and stir thoroughly (the crab will cook through in the hot mixture). Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with oyster crackers.
- I keep Bermuda Hot sauce on hand and use it in place of the cayenne pepper.
- The clam juice I buy comes in 10 oz bottles, so I used two full bottles.
NotesI got this on the internet and enjoyed it so much.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More