- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 14 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast
- 14 ounces lowfat chicken broth
- 14 ounces black beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 11 ounces corn kernels, drained or Green Giant
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 jalapeno, or to taste, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo spice, or chili powder
- Poach the chicken (or however you want to do it, but boiled is just easy). Drain and rinse little stock pot, chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, sweat the onions, jalapeno and bell pepper in just a smidge of oil until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook a minute or two longer.
- Put the chopped chicken back in the little stock pot, add broth, tomatoes, beans, corn and spices. Add the onion mixture. Stir and taste, add salt if needed. Simmer around an hour to let the flavors develop and blend. Add a little more adobo spice (or chili powder) if needed.
- Makes about 8 1-cup servings
- 154 Calories
- 1g Fat
- 19g Protein
- 19g Carbohydrate
- 5g Dietary Fiber;
NotesI didn’t buy anything to actually cook last week since I hadn’t made up my mind what to make. I guess I was counting on providence to take care of the menu. So, last night I started going through what I had in the fridge and the cupboard and came up with this completely original chicken stew.
And when it was done, I realized it’s basically the same as Campbell’s Southwestern Chicken tortilla soup. Or whatever they call it. It was good anyway.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More