- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 dried ancho peppers, stems removed and seeds shaken out
- 2 C water
- 8 large garlic cloves,not peeled
- 1 T canned chipotle peppers, chopped
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 T canned tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs lean beef round, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 small uncooked new potatoes, red scrubbed, not peeled, halved
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t ground cimmamon
- 1/2 t table salt
- Cut open ancho chilies with kitchen shears so they lay flat. Place a large skillet over medium high heat abd toast chilies, pressing them flat with a spatula, for 30 seconds per side. Place chilies in a large bowl with water; set aside.
- Add garlic to same skillet and roaist in its skin, letting skin blacken, turning as needed, about 4 to 5 minutes. When garlic is cool enough to handle, remove skin.
- Remove chilies from water and reserve liquid.
- Place soaked chilies, chipotle, peeled garlic and 3/4 C reserved water in a blender container. Blend on high, pulsing on and off, to make a smooth sauce. Add more water as necessary to make a loose sauce; set aside until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until onions begin to brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Pour chile garlic sauce over onions and stir to combine.
- Add beef, carrots, and potatoes to pot; stir. Cover and cook for 30 minutes; remove cover and stir. If stew seems dry, add 1/4 C more water. Season with cumin, cinnamon, and salt; stir, reduce heat to low, place cover back on pot and cook until carrots and potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
NotesMost Weight Watchers recipes are kinda blah. Every now and again I find one that is worth making again. This one is very satisfying and has a bit of heat to it..very scrumptious. I love chipotle en adobo.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Black and White Cupcakes
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
Barbecued BeefSee More