- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 dried ancho peppers, stems removed and seeds shaken out
- 2 C water
- 8 large garlic cloves,not peeled
- 1 T canned chipotle peppers, chopped
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 T canned tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs lean beef round, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 small uncooked new potatoes, red scrubbed, not peeled, halved
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/4 t ground cimmamon
- 1/2 t table salt
- Cut open ancho chilies with kitchen shears so they lay flat. Place a large skillet over medium high heat abd toast chilies, pressing them flat with a spatula, for 30 seconds per side. Place chilies in a large bowl with water; set aside.
- Add garlic to same skillet and roaist in its skin, letting skin blacken, turning as needed, about 4 to 5 minutes. When garlic is cool enough to handle, remove skin.
- Remove chilies from water and reserve liquid.
- Place soaked chilies, chipotle, peeled garlic and 3/4 C reserved water in a blender container. Blend on high, pulsing on and off, to make a smooth sauce. Add more water as necessary to make a loose sauce; set aside until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until onions begin to brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Pour chile garlic sauce over onions and stir to combine.
- Add beef, carrots, and potatoes to pot; stir. Cover and cook for 30 minutes; remove cover and stir. If stew seems dry, add 1/4 C more water. Season with cumin, cinnamon, and salt; stir, reduce heat to low, place cover back on pot and cook until carrots and potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes more. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
NotesMost Weight Watchers recipes are kinda blah. Every now and again I find one that is worth making again. This one is very satisfying and has a bit of heat to it..very scrumptious. I love chipotle en adobo.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More